ASU Charter, mission and goals
ASU is a comprehensive public research university, measured not by whom it excludes, but by whom it includes and how they succeed; advancing research and discovery of public value; and assuming fundamental responsibility for the economic, social, cultural and overall health of the communities it serves.
ASU mission & goals
Demonstrate leadership in enabling academic excellence and accessibility at scale
- Maintain the fundamental principle of accessibility to all students qualified to study at a research university.
- Maintain university accessibility to match Arizona's socioeconomic diversity with undifferentiated outcomes for success.
- Ensure that more than 90 percent of students continue studies beyond their first year.
- Enhance the university graduation rate to greater than 85 percent and more than 40,000 graduates.
- Continuously enhance quality while maintaining affordability.
- Overcome geographic and financial barriers to education by enrolling 150,000 degree-seeking students.
- Continuously increase measured student development and learning outcomes.
- Engage learners of all socioeconomic, geographic and demographic backgrounds.
Establish national standing in academic quality and impact of colleges and schools in every field
- Advance and maintain national standing in academic quality for each college and school.
- Attain national standing in the learning and post-graduation outcomes for students in all colleges and schools.
- Become the leading university academically (faculty, discovery, research, creativity) in at least one department or school within each college and school.
Expand ASU's role as the leading global center for interdisciplinary research, discovery and development by 2028
- Launch the prototype medical center for the planet.
- Become the leading American center for discovery and scholarship in the integrated social sciences and comprehensive arts and sciences.
- Enhance research competitiveness to more than $1 billion in annual research expenditures.
- Drive regional economic competitiveness through research, discovery and socioeconomically integrated programs.
- Serve as a leading American center for innovation and entrepreneurship.
- Create the leading global center for education and learning technology.
Enhance our local impact and social embeddedness
- Leverage ASU as a public enterprise to strengthen Arizona's interactive network of teaching, learning and discovery resources.
- Co-develop solutions to the critical social, technical, cultural and environmental issues facing 21st-century Arizona, ensuring sustainability and resilience.
- Meet the needs of 21st-century Universal Learners through personalized learning pathways that promote adaptability to emergent social and technological changes.